This qualification forms part of the QA First Aid suite of qualifications. The qualification and learning outcomes are based on the recommendations of:
• Resuscitation Council (UK)
• Skills for Health Assessment Principles for First Aid Qualifications
This QA qualification outlines a range of knowledge and practical skills for providing emergency first aid for people who work with or look after children. Learners will practise assessing and managing an incident and demonstrate how to treat a variety of conditions from life threatening illnesses to minor injuries.
The objective of the qualification is to benefit Learners by enabling them to attain the knowledge and practical competencies needed to deal with a range of first aid situations when looking after children.
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare the Learner to develop the skills and knowledge needed to provide effective emergency first aid to children and babies.
This qualification is for anyone who cares for children and babies; including parents, guardians, grandparents or people who have a professional involvement with children and babies.
This qualification contains 1 mandatory unit with a Total Qualification Time (TQT) of 8 hours.
Learners must complete all assessments successfully within the registration period to achieve the qualification. The maximum period to achieve this qualification, including any referrals is 4 weeks.
TQT is the total number of hours required for a Learner to achieve this qualification. It has 2 elements:
• Guided Learning Hours (GLH) is the time a Learner is being taught and assessed under the immediate guidance of a Trainer/Assessor, which for this qualification is 6 GLH (minimum), and
• The number of hours a Learner will reasonably be likely to spend in preparation and study, including assessment, as directed by, but not under the immediate guidance or supervision of a Trainer, e.g. pre- course reading, which for this qualification is 2 hours
This qualification contains 1 mandatory unit with a total value of 1 credit
No other units can be combined to count towards the QA Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (RQF) qualification.
Relationship with other related qualifications
The QA Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid (RQF):
• Contains 1 unit that also appears as Unit 1 (Emergency Paediatric First Aid) of the QA Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (RQF)
• Can be transferred to other qualifications under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) towards achievement of that qualification providing it is achieved within its registration period
Learners must be at least 16 years old on the first day of the training.
There are no other formal entry requirements but to benefit from the learning we advise that Learners have a minimum of Level 1 in literacy or numeracy or equivalent.
Other course requirements
Due to the practical nature of this course, Learners should wear appropriate clothing and footwear, e.g. trousers and flat footwear.
Learners may progress to the QA Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (RQF).
This qualification is valid for a period of 3 years. The Learner needs to retake the qualification before the certificate expiry date to remain qualified.